U-Engage Peer Leaders
Applications are due by February 1, 2016 Deadline extended until February 12, 2016
New Student Programs & Family Outreach is seeking undergraduate students to act as Peer Leaders for Oregon State University’s Fall 2016 U-Engage classes. This is an opportunity for returning students to play an important role in helping new OSU students be successful in the classroom and in the OSU community.
What is U-Engage?
- Two-credit course offered Fall Term to first-term, first-year students.
- Course content includes information on academic success strategies (time management, note taking, test prepartion, etc.) and support services (tutoring options, writing center, career counseling, undergraduate research, student leadership, etc.) to help first-year students succesfully transition to OSU
- Course content also focuses on an instructors area of passion. A full list of U-Engage courses taught in 2015 can be found here
- Courses emphasize an active learning environment (e.g., students will actively participate in class discussions and assignments).
Responsibilities of U-Engage peer leaders include:
- Work closely with your U-Engage instructor (determined during Spring term) to develop and facilitate the course
- Attend each U-Engage class during Fall 2016- classes are either held twice a week for 50 minutes OR once a week for 1 hr and 50 minutes
- Demonstrate positive classroom behaviors (be on-time, stay attentive, participate when asked, follow class rules)
- Share your experience as a first-year student
- Refer students to appropriate resources and support systems
- Actively work to form positive relationships with your students
- Assist with attendance tracking at Student Success Series workshops (approximately 3 hr time commitment during the term)
- Current full-time undergraduate student with an OSU GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Commitment to helping new OSU students have a positive transition to the OSU community
- Desire and ability to work with and on behalf of diverse student populations
- Successful completion of U-Engage Peer Leader Training Course, held in Spring 2016 on Thursdays from 4-5:50 pm (2 credits available but not required)
- Commitment to become familiar with campus resources and support systems for first-year students
- Practical peer leadership and communication skills
- Experience in class design (syllabus, assignments, activities)
- Close working relationship with a OSU faculty or staff member
- Teaching/class planning and facilitation experience
- Familiarity with campus resources and support systems
- ALS 410 Internship credit for participation in your U-Engage section in the fall (1-2 credits available)
- A chance to make a difference!
For questions contact the NSPFO office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity Employment and Accessibility Statement
The office of New Student Programs & Family Outreach does not discriminate against any qualified individual based on age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran’s status in regards to job application procedures, the hiring, advancement, or discharge of employees, employee compensation, job training, or other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment. If you require a job application in an alternative format or another accommodation based on a documented disability please contact New Student Programs & Family Outreach at 541-737-7627.